Pinterest/Interest

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Publish your book for free on Amazon.com (1)

I've recently learned that you can publish your book for free on Amazon.com. It can only be sold on their site to Kindle users, or through their Kindle softwear. You set the price and earn 75% royalty. (There are several other similar sites.) You set a low price, say $2.99 (to get the 75% royalty). You can even give it away.

Of course, there's a limited audience, but it's a place to begin testing your book's appeal. I'm considering it as an option for some of my books. I won't jump into it for the same reasons I'm not jumping into POD. I want my books to be as excellent as I can make them. But it seems worth a try. And you can't beat the cost. If I decide to do so, I'll report on it here. For right now, I'm staying the agent-to-publisher course.

Update:
I've decided to publish a book of short stories on Amazon.com. I'll probably put a price on it of $2.99. I don't expect to make a lot of money selling it; I'm doing it more for the experience and to put something out there that will probably never be published through the traditional method, at least, not any time soon. I can learn the ins and outs of epublishing.

2 comments:

Tanya Reimer said...

This is interesting. I had no idea. I've learnt so much about the industry since I started blogging! Keep us posted, maybe even let us know how, since I'm clueless.??.

You said you were looking into building a website. I used networksolutions.com to help with the one I build for work, (because they had templates I liked and it was affordable- and came with step by step instructions.--you can check it out at acfbellegarde.com) but there are so many options I was overwhelmed-- just naming it was an ordeal! Talk to people who have built sites, they gave me some incredible ideas.

My advice, is that you have to be able to update it when and how you want.

I have yet to make one for myself, but all in time... the blog is enough for now. Good luck.

writing and living by Richard P Hughes said...

Thank you, Tanya
I thought you did have a website of your own, but when I'm ready to do mine I'll do what you said to do.