Pinterest/Interest

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Hemingway Years (2)

"Paris is a Movable Feast"

Being an Ernest Hemingway follower led me to want to enjoy the same kinds of experiences he had enjoyed. High on that list--perhaps the highest--was to walk the same streets of Paris he had walked thirty or so years earlier.

While in the navy, my ship docked at Le Havre, France, and I took five days vacation and went to Paris.
                                My ship: USS Cromwell

The first good look I had of France was riding the train through the countryside, which gave me time to reflect and decide what I would do when I arrived at Paris.

My first impression of Paris itself was when the train pulled into the Gare St. Lazarre, and I detrained into a familiar looking building, one with luminous overhead lighting, one I had seen in an Impressionist painting. I suddenly felt at home. At that moment, I knew I had arrived. At that moment, I knew I'd never be the same again.

6 comments:

Elizabeth Varadan aka Mrs. Seraphina said...

My husband and I both love impressionist paintings. We've been there twice, each time many years apart, and spent most of each time in the art museums. It is such a remarkable city. I would go again in a heart beat!

Richard said...

Me too. I'll have more to say on that topic (impressionist paintings) in an upcoming post.

Juliana L. Brandt said...

I'd love to hear more about the trip. I feel as if you started a story here and I haven't gotten to read the ending!w

Jolene Perry said...

A good friend of mine's grandparents had a cabin near Hemingway's - she met him several times when she was very little. I re-read everything he wrote after she told me that.

Richard said...

My Hemingway Years is part of a series about my five days in Paris, and other trips in Europe. So, it's not finished yet.

Tanya Reimer said...

I love how you ended this, it's so homey. Exactly how it feels to walk into a new adventure. Can't wait to read more.