Pinterest/Interest

Saturday, March 17, 2012

My very first post revisited.

I just read my very first post, which I wrote over a year ago, in which I muse about living and writing and wonder if we writers are insane. (see it here if you wish, it's quite short) The question of insanity still seems relevant.

At the time of my first post I was still in the traditional publishing mode: write a book, query an agent, receive a zillion rejections, then give up. Or, miraculously get an agent, then get rejected by every publisher in the world. Or, miracle of miracles, get accepted by a reputable publisher, and, after a lifetime of struggling, actually see my book get published. Then, like 80% of all books published, it doesn't even earn back the royalties I was paid. All the while, working on my next project. It does seem a bit crazy to devote thousands of hours to such endeavors. But I was doing it and, to some degree, I still am.

Then I discovered self-publishing ebooks. I thought about it long and hard. Should I do it? What does it mean if I do it? Will I be the scourge of the publishing world? Will I lose all my friends? Will I be looked at as a failure? Is self-publishing a form of suicide? Well, a lot of people were doing it, and some were even making a living at it. Then I wondered what have I got to lose. I mean really, who cares how your book is published, as long as it's out there? Right? I don't know. All I know is that I saw no future whatsoever in the traditional model. So, I self-pubbed a book of short stories, just because. Just because I wanted to see if I could do it. I wanted to learn the ropes. And learn them I did. And now I've self-pubbed a novel. It seems like the publishing world has turned upside down between the time I published my first book and my second a year later.

I'm now part of a growing fraternity of self-publishers. I no longer feel so insane. In fact, I feel as if I've found sanity in an insane world. Of course, the insane don't know they're insane. That's the beauty of insanity. So, maybe I'm insane and just don't know it, which might be a form of sanity. Anyway, it's been a fantastic year and a marvelous journey. And it ain't over yet.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you found your sanity Richard. So many writers seem to be having great success with the self pub route. By the way let me go to and look you up on Amazon. I haven't read you yet. Should you ever need something mentioned by bloggers or you need to promote, consider me an option.

Misha Gerrick said...

Hahahaha your first post is so much more interesting than mine. I'm pretty sure that mine was something like: "Hi! I'm here!"

;-)

Talli Roland said...

I hear you, Richard. It's wonderful being part of a community of writers who are sharing knowledge and working together.

Unknown said...

It's amazing how much you can learn in just one year! I have two of your novels/shorts on my Kindle waiting to be read. You're up next though.

Tanya Reimer said...

Insanity. I know the feeling. I'm glad you've found a way that makes sense.

E.D. said...

Yes, it truly is amazing how much we learn and "grow" in one year. Good luck with the process - I know we all need it!

Luanne G. Smith said...

Things are changing so fast. I still don't know how someone gets found in the self-publishing whirlwind, but I do know it happens. People are downloading e-books like crazy, so best of luck with your journey. I may be following you down that path soon. :)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Good luck with your books, Richard. I have some queries to get put before I can read them, and then I want to interview you. I'm still trying the traditional route, but like learning all I can about the e-book route, too, so I enjoyed this post.

Emily R. King said...

What a wonderful story. Blogging has helped me zero in on what I want out my writing and publishing journey. It brings me happiness to hear you've found yours!

J.L. Campbell said...

I think I'd say that writers are an insane bunch. Our perception of writing and publishing does change over time.

Like you, I self-pubbed a collection of short stories just to see if I could. Didn't do everything myself, but I proved I could set a target and meet it. Wishing you success as you continue on your journey.

Anonymous said...

I recently read my first post. Its fun to take that trip down Memory Lane and see how far you've come.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Its fun to read your first post. I enjoyed reading about how you chose where you wanted to go with your publishing journey. I am trying the traditional route, lets see how it goes.

KamilleE said...

I like reading the first blog posts of bloggers and comparing them to themselves currently! It's amazing how much someone can change in such a short period of time!

Congratulations on how far you've come! I hope you enjoy success!