Pinterest/Interest

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Before Sunrise, or pride preceedith a fall

[movie review: Before Sunrise]

For me to review a movie, it must have something special about it. It's not just entertaining. It must have a thematic element that goes beyond mere plot and entertainment. Now, it doesn't have to be deep. It doesn't have to be astoundingly brilliant. I really don't expect those elements from a movie. But it needs to have a subtext that I find intriguing. Before Sunrise has that element, and it's an interesting one, one that goes beyond those of most movies.

The concept is intriguing. Boy, who is on his last day in Europe, meets girl. They fall in love...or do they? He asks her to spend the rest of the day with him. Their love grows...or does it? At sunrise, he must go back to the states. What will happen? This is not a trivial matter? Well, I won't spoil the movie for you. But, the subtext, the struggle for the truth about love...well, I won't spoil it for you.

Now this is a movie for fan fiction. I'm telling you, Before Sunrise begs for fan fiction. Maybe I'll give it a try.

10 comments:

David P. King said...

I might just have t check this out on the netflix. Thanks the the recommendation! :)

Unknown said...

This is a new title for me-- thanks for the rec. Like David, I'm going to do a Netflix search now.

Julia Hones said...

I watched both. "Before sunrise" and the second part: "Before sunset". So did you like it? I think it is the kind of movie that will appeal to those who believe in "soul mates". Not my case.

writing and living by Richard P Hughes said...

I didn't know there was a second part, Julia. I'll have to look for it. I liked Before Sunrise.

Julia Hones said...

I may need to see it again. I may have missed the good parts. I watched it during a depressing period of my life...

dolorah said...

Soul mates? is there such a thing?

.....dhole

Elise Fallson said...

I've never seen this movie but you've convinced me to check it out. (:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Thank you for the recommendation sir!!

Tanya Reimer said...

Movies based on such simple things can sometimes hold the most impact. Got me curious.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I haven't seen the movie. Although I confess I can enjoy a movie just for pure entertainment value. (Obviously, I reviewed F&F 6 today!)