Pinterest/Interest

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Travel: It's The Journey That Counts (Travel Story)

When I was in Europe back in 1971, I rode in a hovercraft across a body of water. It was a commuter hovercraft with maybe twenty passengers. I was completely focused on the experience. It was a thrill riding in this air/boat in the shiny glittering choppy surf. I felt as if I were the only passenger and that this ride was a special gift from Providence. And it probably was, because I've never forgotten it.

Here's the thing, though. I cannot remember where this body of water was, nor which country it was in. My inclinations say it was in England. But, I'm not sure. Did I cross the English Channel in it? I think not. Was I in Scotland or France, even Spain or Italy? I cannot remember. What I do remember is the excitement, the wonder, I felt at riding in that amazing craft.

I think this reflects the notion that it isn't the destination that matters--it's the journey. Where I was and where I was going then aren't important today. What is important is the experience and the memory of it.

7 comments:

KamilleE said...

I love hovercrafts! They always look so cool. I've never been on one though and I only know about one hovercraft journey route and it's less than 10 minutes long so I figured it wasn't worth the money.

I agree about the journey though. I had a teacher who said, there's no point going somewhere nice if you have to go through hell to get to it.

Julia Hones said...

I couldn't agree more with you. What matters is the journey. I don't care about the outcome. I enjoy the ride. (If I were worrying about outcomes or results I would not be enjoying the journey). Lovely post, Richard.

Emily R. King said...

Lovely thoughts, Richard. Thanks for sharing!

Jon said...

I certainly agree that the journey is more important than the destination. By the way, Richard, I did get your email and I've put "Beautiful Ruins" on my reading list.

Jeff Hargett said...

That would be an experience worth remembering.

Tanya Reimer said...

I have memories like that too. I remember the lake, the water, the fact that it was made from a volcano, and the people. But I have no idea where I was. Too bad. Would be nice to got back, but I guess memories are like that...

Rachna Chhabria said...

I have never been in an hovercraft. Some journeys can never be forgotten.