Pinterest/Interest

Monday, July 29, 2013

Having Nothing To Say

It's somewhat baffling to me that lately I have nothing to say. I could post stuff just to be posting, and there's nothing wrong with that if it accomplishes what you want with your blog. But I don't find that appealing. That's just work, possibly without inspiration. I'm used to writing from my emotions and deeper thought processes. So, what does this mean? Have my emotions and deeper thought processes dried up? I don't know. I only know that I have nothing to say right now (although, ironically, I'm saying something right now, but I think you know what I mean).

What does this mean for my blog? Is my desire to blog dying? I don't think so. I still read a lot of blogs, or at least take a look at them. But truthfully, I've read enough author interviews to know that we're all experiencing the same things. Some authors succeed while others struggle on. I don't think I'll learn a whole lot new by reading more author interviews.

I've read quite a few book reviews. But they're usually not books I would ever read. I've attempted to read some of the books that I read about that were highly praised, but usually couldn't get past the first few pages. Of course, there are some successes, that is, some books that did capture my interest and I read them all the way. So I usually don't read book reviews on blogs. (Goodreads is a different story.)

I've  read enough "Should I Give Up?" posts. Of course, we should never give up. (And the truth is, maybe some of us should give up and move on with our lives.)

To be honest, I've done no fiction writing for several months. I think this is probably why I'm not writing so many blog posts: I'm not sure that I'm still a writer. I wonder sometimes if I'm one of those people who should just give up and move on with my life? The desire to write is still there, but, like my blog posts, I've always written from my emotions and deeper thought processes, and they seem to have disappeared. So I could just write to be writing, but I'm not sure it would be satisfying.

My blog reflects my writing life in general. Fortunately, I've been doing quite a bit of art work. That's something I find interesting, even fascinating. So I still have an interest in creativity, still exercising it to a good extent.

This is one of those posts that writes itself. I'm just along for the ride. I hope you're still enjoying the writing process. I hope you succeed. I'll be waiting to hear about your success.

19 comments:

Rachna Chhabria said...

Richard, we all go through these phases where we feel we have nothing to blog about, where we don't write much, trust me these phases don't last long.

Julia Hones said...

I look forward to your artwork then.
Do what your passion tells you to do at this time. Life is a journey of intriguing possibilities.
Thank you for reading my blog.

Jon said...

The writing process is extremely strange. There are times when I feel like I've said it all and have nothing more to say. Then, suddenly, I'll think of something and the writing will start flowing again.

Unknown said...

Richard, I just wrote a post on finding inspiration and the responses from people have been really good for me to read too. Sometimes, I approach it in a more business fashion. After all a platform is the business half of writing. So I approach it less emotionally and more like any other aspect of work that I need to get done. Hopefully, in the process, I also am connecting with readers-- that's the ultimate goal. I don't like that feeling though!

Tanya Reimer said...

Releasing your creative side by expressing it is other art forms is great too.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I think sometimes our blogging desire goes through peaks and valleys. It certainly does for me. I usually only post once or twice per week anyway :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I went six months without writing, but the creativity came back.
I know what you mean about having read enough of certain types of posts. Sometimes it begins to blend.
Everyone is on an ebb and flow right now. Think that comes with the blogging territory.
And thanks for your comment. I don't think of my blog as a business so much as a place for my friends to gather around the water cooler. But good to know it looks like I am doing it right.

Anonymous said...

As you are with your 'pen,' I am with my camera right now...no desire to photograph, no desire to create, no desire to venture out and seek. Maybe the 'nesting' gene is in full swing. I've been here before and I know it will pass so I'm not going into panic mode...yet. Hang in there!

Emily R. King said...

Life ebbs and flows, Richard. If you are ready for the next season of your life in which writing is no longer a part of, you'll feel at peace. But if you feel that itch to create still, I'd say you're not done yet. :)

Rosa B.G said...

Hi Richard, through other blogs I found this Spanish writers. And I fully understand what is going through these stages of disconnection, lack of creativity, apathy for writing.
Phases are parts of a whole, so you should not be discouraged in these tasks as a writer, on the contrary, you get more strength, enthusiasm and desire to continue writing.
Creativity will blow your mind, without looking.
A greeting.
Rosa.

I invite you to visit my blog that aparce on google+ profile.
And you can leave opinions or comments on it.

Regards
Rose.

(Excuse my lack of perfection in the English language)

Misha Gerrick said...

I've been where you are now. Sometimes, I went for months without writing.

Maybe it's just a sign that you need to rest. Go read those books you've put off. Go do something new. Go to an art gallery. Take a drive. Do whatever needs to be done to replenish your creative well.

The only way not to do it, though, is by forcing yourself to write.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Since you like art -- a form of expression so close to the heart, even though wordless; I suspect venturing into poetry would put you back in touch with your writing. Read it, even get a book to analyze poetry and a book on writing poetry, and just dip into it. A really good book I read once is Writing the Natural Way, by Gabrielle Lusser Rico. She really puts you in touch with the deeper things you want to say. I've gone through the book twice and got some good poems out of it. But, more than anything, it helped me tap into writing at a different level. I suspect that's what is going on with you.

Caryn Caldwell said...

I think it's admirable that you only blog when you have something to blog about. That way both you and your readers enjoy the entry. Hope you find yourself inspired again soon! Blog-wise, at least. Looks like you have other inspiration, too. :-)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

When I have nothing to say, I usually take a break. I can't quit blogging, I love it too much!

Deb Shucka said...

What a bittersweet post, full of paradox and irony and maybe even longing. Very powerful read.

Unknown said...

I went through it for more than a year Richard and as you say it becomes like a job and thats when the motivation really disappears.
WHat I do know is that you do need the break when your mind and emotions tell you they've had enough, so you need to listen to them.
I've come back with a different outlook for my blog too.I'd like my my blog to return to its honesty and so I've decided to only write about things that interest me. I mean I hardly read other reviewrs blog, only writers so I should actually be thinking others do the same.
I've posted one author interview since I've come back and to be honest I'll be hard pressed to do so again. If I'm featuring someone else it will be as a guest post that has substance now.
I dont know if this would be detrimental to the blog or not but I am definitely intending to put more of my personality in it.
Have fun on your "sort of" sabbatical and I'll be checking in now and again.
Wendy
http://fabulosityreads.blogspot.com/

Talli Roland said...

I don't have much to say sometimes but I do enjoy the blogging community and my blog, so I keep plugging away!

the weight of a letter said...

I think you are a writer, doubting that you are is one proof of that.

Maybe you need a break from blogging, that's something to think about. If you don't find joy in writing on a blog, I don't see why you should force yourself.

I've also went through several blogs, deleting my old blog and then starting news ones, because I felt uneasy. I ask myself, why do I blog? Because I don't have many friends in my real day-to-day life, so blogging fulfills that need to share with someone.
But at the same time, blogging is terrifying because I like to keep my personal life private and it's hard if that's something I want to write about.

Donna K. Weaver said...

There's nothing wrong in taking a bit of a vacation. Do something fun that gives you a break. Good luck!