Pinterest/Interest

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Mark Koopmans: Where I Live and Why I Like It


My guest today for "Why I Like Where I Live" is a popular blogger who actually lives in paradise, and his answers to the questions prove it. Mark Koopmans is a writer and blogger whom I've followed for two or three years now. His blog Aloha! Mark Koopmans says Hi from HI is always entertaining. Being from the island James Joyce was from, it should be. He's a stay-at-home dad of three boys. I can imagine the joy and happiness they share on a daily basis. Those are three lucky boys. But, enough from me. Let's let Mark speak for himself.

1.      Geographical Information:
Country: USA
State or Province: Honolulu
City or Town: Honolulu
District within City or Town: Pearl Harbor

2.      Is there any place in your area that’s considered a pilgrimage site, such as a religious shrine? If so, have you been there?
There are several, but probably the most famous is the USS Arizona Memorial. Apparently, it is the #1 free tourist attraction in the state of Hawaii, and after visiting there many times with friends and family, it certainly is a must-see.
3.      Is there a site that has special meaning for you?
One of the most recognizable landmarks on O’ahu is Diamond Head


I can see the extinct volcano from our front door (it’s not very close, but I can see on a direct line!) To me, this is one place that symbolizes the history of Hawaii.
4.      Is this where you were born and/or grew up? If not, how did you come to live here?
No, my wife is active-duty U.S. Navy, so we’ve been here on O’ahu for three years – and have one more left before we head to places as-yet unknown. (I’m originally from the island of Ireland – “only I’m not on my island” (name that movie for 10 bonus points :)
5.      What do you like best about where you live?
It never, ever, not once snows.


6.      Do you plan to live here the rest of your life?
 I wish.
7.      Do you have family in the area, or have you ventured out on your own?
No official family, but have made friends with other military families.
8.      Are you happy where you live?
See question #5 :)
9.      For tourists, what would you recommend seeing?
If you can get access to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, I would check out the historical sites on Ford Island


The Bishop Museum is amazing,

 as is the Polynesian Cultural Center, and if you want a quiet(er) beach than Waikiki—check out White Plains Beach.


10.   What do you do for entertainment where you live?
I’m a stay-at-home Dad, so we go out on field trips several times a week. There’s no professional soccer or baseball team on Oahu, but there is so much else to see, including a drive to the famous North Shore.
11.   If you’re a writer, have you included where you live in the settings of any of your stories? If you’re a painter, have you painted any of your area’s features?
Not a painter and haven’t included anything of Hawaii in current WIP, but if the chance comes up, I will.
12.  Would you recommend others to move to where you live? Why?
Seriously, who wouldn’t want to live in Hawaii?
 Feel free to add any other relevant information you might want to mention.

Thanks, Richard, for including me as a guest blogger today! Blessed with the chance to live in paradise, we will always look back on Hawaii with very fond memories :)



Thank you for sharing a bit about your life with us. BTW, I'll be in O'ahu next week looking for a place to stay for a couple of weeks. What's your address? Just kidding. I think you do live it paradise.

No comments: