Pinterest/Interest

Friday, September 26, 2014

Rachna Chhabria: Where I Live and Why I Like It

My guest today for my series "Where I Live and Why I Like It" is the writer/blogger Rachna Chhabria. I've been following Rachna for three years now and she has one of the most thought-provoking blogs, always raising questions about the art of writing and its many challenges. Always open to new ideas, she constantly challenges us to be our best.



1.      Geographical Information:
Country: India
State or Province: Karnataka
City or Town: Bangalore
District within City or Town:
Neighborhood:

2.      Is there any place in your area that’s considered a pilgrimage site, such as a religious shrine? If so, have you been there?
A.    I don’t think there is any such pilgrimage site near my house. There is a temple, which I visit sometimes.

3.      Is there a site that has special meaning for you?
A.    Just my school which is five minutes walking distance from my house. I have fond memories of it.

4.      Is this where you were born and/or grew up? If not, how did you come to live here?
A.    I was born in another part of India. My parents shifted to Bangalore when I was small. I have spent most of my life in this place.

5.     What do you like best about where you live?
A.    Its centrally located. All the major shopping areas are within very easy reach. There is a market and a hospital nearby. There are also three clubs close to my house.

6.      Do you plan on living here the rest of your life?
A.     No idea. I can’t say much about the future.

7.      Do you have family in the area, or have you ventured out on your own?
A.     My aunts and cousins stay just a few minutes away.

8.      Are you happy where you live?
A.     Most of the time yes, but due to the schools nearby (there are atleast 7 schools within walking distance from my house), there is heavy traffic during the school hours which makes my street very congested. And as most of the roads in Bangalore have become one-way, all the traffic is diverted down my street. This is a big nuisance.

9.      For tourists, what would you recommend seeing?
A.      For the tourists, there is the famous Cubbon Park (nearly 300 acres of greenery), Lal Bagh Botanical Gardens (with its glasshouse and its flower shows which attracts visitors and tourists), the U.B city mall (which every visitor to Bangalore wants to see).






10.   What do you do for entertainment where you live? Sporting events, theater, concerts, so on and so forth.
A.    I have plenty of malls and restaurants near my house. And the mall rat I am, I love browsing in the malls and catching movies at the multiplexes. The Cricket Stadium where all the cricket matches are played is also near my house.



11.   If you’re a writer, have you included where you live in the settings of any of your stories? If you’re a painter, have you painted any of your area’s features?
A.    Yes. My settings have been included in my stories. Infact, in my current WIP: Scavage, Bangalore: the place I live in, is a major part of the setting.

12.  Would you recommend others to move to where you live? Why?
A.   Yes, I would recommend others to move to Bangalore. It’s a vibrant city, which has something for everyone. Most Indians envy us Bangaloreans our amazing climate. Once upon a time, it was called Pensioner’s Paradise and also the Garden City. But, I would also tell them that as Bangalore is getting too crowded they should turn their attention to other cities.


By Rachna Chhabria

Rachna lives in a part of the world that many of us would like to visit. You can visit her at her blog Rachna's Scriptorium. Thank you for letting us visit your world.

26 comments:

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Richard, thanks for hosting me on your blog. I enjoyed doing the interview. This is such a great idea. Its nice to know more about where other writers live.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

wow, seven schools closeby. At least you also have 3 clubs ;)
Great to get to know a little more about you, Rachna, and where you live.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

This was a nice share, Rachna. Bangalore is truly a beautiful city. Rajan worked there many, many years ago. I remember that park from when we visited Bangalore a few years ago, and the shopping mall, too.

Destination Infinity said...

Though I liked Bangalore when I lived there, I would prefer a smaller town like Mysore or Coimbatore. Yes, the climate in Bglore is good, but a bit too cold for me. Because in the city I grew up (Chennai), I am used to only three climatic conditions - hot, hotter and hottest!! :)

Destination Infinity

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome interview. Loved seeing where Rachna lives. And the Botanical Gardens are gorgeous. I visited India over 30 years ago and this is making me want to go back.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Lynda, 7 schools can cause quite a traffic jam. During those times, I wish I had a flying car to reach home fast. Yes, the club where we are members is nearby and that is a good thing for us.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Elizabeth, I hope you remember that we met in Cubbon Park and Rajan clicked many pictures :)

Rachna Chhabria said...

Destination Infinity, I love the Bangalore climate (though many people find it a bit cold). The Chennai heat is quite troublesome for me. The traffic in Chennai is less chaotic than in Bangalore (that's an advantage you all have over us).

Rachna Chhabria said...

Natalie, I didn't know that you had been to Bangalore, I was under the impression that you had only visited the Ashram in Pune. Now make a trip to Bangalore soon.

Wendy said...

Rachna, this was fun reading about where you live. The pictures are beautiful.

The middle school is at the end of my street, but I don't get much of the school traffic because there is a parallel street that leads right to the parking lot. I'm so glad of that!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Amazing looking garden. Might be a lot of traffic but it's cool you have so much close to your home.

Tanya Reimer said...

Wonderful to get to see your home! Beautiful pics. I'm so used to open space and few people, I can't even imagine the hustle and bustle!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Wendy, you are so lucky that though the school is at the end of your street,a parallel street leads to the parking lot. My house is bang opposite the entrance to one of the schools :(

Rachna Chhabria said...

Alex, the traffic is very irritating, especially during the rainy season when the narrow road outside my house gets blocked. During those times its easier to walk than drive.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Tanya, I envy you the open space and few people. Lets swap ;)

Unknown said...

Wow, what a beautiful garden! I would love to visit India some day.

Jeff Hargett said...

Love the photos. Quite a bit larger place than my little spot on the road. Not sure I could handle the hustle and bustle as a full-timer, but it would be a great place to visit sometime.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Oh such great pictures

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Richard,

Thanks for featuring Rachna today!

Hi, Rachna!

What a lovely area you live in. The gardens are SPECTACULAR!

Thanks for sharing your city with us. It is beautiful!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Clarissa, you should visit India sometime in future. There are many lovely places to see and cities to visit.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Jeff, yes, it would be difficult to handle the hustle bustle after living in a quiet place. Do put India on your places to visit list.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Jo-Anne, thank you :)

Rachna Chhabria said...

Michael, my city was called the garden city of India. This park (Lal Bagh) is a must visit for every tourist to Bangalore.

Rahul Bhatia said...

Nice one, Rachna! Have seen most of these lovely places:)

Unknown said...

How amazing. Looks like you live in a great place.

dolorah said...

Love the gardens Rachna. Seems like an awesome place to live.